Wednesday, February 12, 2014

My Guardian Idiot ~ Fantasy Tales For Your Funny Bone - Barbra Annino

There are few female authors that I can appreciate. Many that I simply tolerate their work. Barbra Annino has a talent of her own. The stories included in this book are cute, but not too cute. There were points thst I actually did giggle.

The book's namesake, "My Guardian Idiot" is silly, and at first you realy sympathize with the narrator. It isn't until later in the story that you start to feel as though she is a bit of an entitled snob.

"Sexual Healing" is the story of a sex therapist that apparently hates sex and relationships, but seems good at her job. Her narrative views on her situation are humerous. This one had me laughing a bit. Maybe because I am a bit of a cynical hag myself.

"Genie School Dropout" seems to play on the idea that you should be careful what you wish for. Maybe the idea of a sarcastic or literal minded genie is a bit humerous on its own, but one that is hard of hearing (or suffering something else) is a nice twist.

"Stephen King Kills His Darlings" is where this one kinda died for me. Maybe it was supposed to be a dramatic comedy piece, but it just didn't hold me. It is pretty much exactly what the title says in the most basic sense. Kinda cheesy, life affirming, pointless feeling for me.

"Cupid's Arrow" is just downright silly and cute. It had more potential that it had follow through.

All in all, it was not a horrible book. It was worth reading at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment